Attitudes and social cognition: I study attitudes and persuasion, the intention-behavior relation, goals, general activity patterns, prediction and change of health risk behaviors, and the effects of behavioral and clinical treatments in various settings (e.g., through meta-analysis and clinical trials). The resulting body of work concerns attitudes and social cognition broadly construed, and almost always has implications for understanding and changing behavior.
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Communication, Language
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Health Psychology
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Neuroscience, Psychophysiology
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Social Cognition
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Albarracin, D., Johnson, B. T., & Zanna, M. P. (Eds.). (2005). The handbook of attitudes. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Albarracin, D., Cohen, J. B., & Kumkale, G. T. (2003). When communications collide with recipients' actions: Effects of post-message behavior on intentions to follow the message recommendation. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 29.
- Albarracin, D., Gillette, J., Earl, A., Glasman, L. R., Durantini, M. R., & Ho., M. H. (2005). A test of major assumptions about behavior change: A comprehensive look at the effects of passive and active HIV-prevention interventions since the beginning of the epidemic. Psychological Bulletin, 131, 856-897.
- Albarracin, D., Handley, I., Noguchi, K., McCulloch, K., Li, H., Leeper, J., Brown, R., & Earl, A. (2008). Increasing and decreasing motor and cognitive output: A model of general action and inaction goals. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 95, 510-523.
- Albarracin, D., & Mitchell, A. L. (2004). The role of defensive confidence in preference for proatttitudinal information: How believing that one is strong can sometimes be a defensive weakness. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 30, 1565-1584.
- Albarracín, D., & Handley, I. (2011). The time for doing is not the time for change: Effects of general action and inaction goals on attitude retrieval and attitude change. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 100, 983-998. DOI: 10.1037/a0023245
- Carrera, P., Munoz, D., Caballero, A., Fernandez, A, & Albarracin, D. (2012). The present projects past behavior into the future while the past projects attitudes into the future: How verb tense moderates predictors of drinking intentions. Journal of Experimental and Social Psychology, 48, 1196-1200.
- Durantini, M. R., Albarracin, D., Earl, A., & Mitchell, A. L. (2006). Conceptualizing the influence of social agents of behavior change: A meta-analysis of the effectiveness of HIV-prevention interventionists for different groups. Psychological Bulletin, 132, 212-248.
- Earl, A. N., Albarracín, D., Durantini, M. R., Leeper, J. H., & Levitt, J. H. (2009). Participation in counseling programs: High-risk participants are reluctant to accept HIV-prevention counseling. Journal of Clinical and Consulting Psychology.
- Glasman, L. R., & Albarracín, D. (2006). Forming attitudes that predict future behavior: A meta-analysis of the attitude-behavior relation. Psychological Bulletin, 132, 778-822.
- Hart, W., & Albarracín, D. (2009). The effects of chronic achievement motivation and achievement primes on the activation of achievement and fun goals. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 97, 1129-1141.
- Hepler, J., Albarracin, D., McCulloch, K. C., & Noguchi, K. (2012). Being active and impulsive: The role of goals for action and inaction in self-control. Motivation and Emotion. doi:10.1007/s11031-011-9263-4
- Kumkale, G. T., & Albarracin, D. (2004). The sleeper effect in persuasion: A meta-analytic review. Psychological Bulletin, 130, 143-172.
- Mc Culloch, K.C., Fitzsimons, G., Chua, S. N., & Albarracín, D. (2011). Vicarious goal satiation. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 47, 685-688. doi:10.1016/j.jesp.2010.12.019
- Senay, I., Albarracin, D., & Noguchi, K. (2010). Motivating goal-directed behavior through introspective self-talk: The role of the interrogative form of simple future tense. Psychological Science, 21, 499-504.
- Zell, E., Warrimer, A. B., & Albarracin, D. (2012). Splitting of the mind: When the You I talk to is me and needs commands. Social Psychology and Personality Science.
- Albarracin, D. (2002). Cognition in persuasion: An analysis of information processing in response to persuasive communications. In M. P. Zanna (Ed.), Advances in Experimental Social Psychology (Vol. 34, pp. 61-130). San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Albarracin, D., Glasman, L. R., & Wallace, H. M. (2004). Survival and change in judgments: A model of activation and comparison. In M. P. Zanna (Ed.), Advances in Experimental Social Psychology (Vol. 36). San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Advances in Self-Regulation
- Attitude Theory and Change
- Social Psychology Theory and Methods
- The Psychology of Attitudes and Persuasion
603 E. Daniel St.
Department of Psychology
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
Champaign, IL 61822